03 April, 2006

Can LEGO Cure Calgary's Housing Crisis?

Drastic plastic housing solution
Mayor hopes Lego home project will cure housing crisis
The Saturday Calgary Sun, April 1, 2006.

"Temporary plastic homes built from industrial-sized interlocking Lego bricks are being considered by city council as a solution to Calgary's affordable housing crisis.

"Mayor Dave Bronconnier is slated to fly to Lego Corporation headquarters in Billund, Denmark, next week to discuss the purchase of 45,000 bricks, capable of building more than 400 single-bedroom homes, or 200 two-bedroom homes. "Overall, the city is growing too fast to provide adequate housing for its booming population," said Bronconnier. ..............

"Aldermen will debate the brick purchase at next Monday's city council meeting."

I admit it, I fell for it. I should have guessed The Sun's April Fool's was afoot when they said Mayor Bronco was going to fly by himself. Last year he flew the entire city council (with the exception of one alderwoman who refused to go on principle) to a meeting in Eastern Canada.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi, Loki - I am so excited to welcome you to my blog! Please drop in anytime. I now have the feature set up that alerts me by e-mail when I get a comment.