03 April, 2006

The Protocol of Sleeping Over

Caitlin is 10. This year the era of party sleepovers began. Somewhere out there is a mother of a Fifth Grader who started the precedent of the 6 pm to 10 pm party, boys included. The boys leave at 10 pm and the girls continue to party on until the next morning. This forum is mandatory for birthday parties, it seems.

We decided a needs to know list was advisable.

1. Time Frame. What time should I arrive, and when will I be leaving?
2. Supplies. What should I bring? Should I bring my own sleeping bag? Do I need any special clothing?
3. Other kids. Will there be other kids staying overnight? If so, who? What adults will be around?
4. Activities. What will we be doing? Is there a plan?
5. Eating. What will we do for food? Should I eat before I come over, or will there be dinner, snacks, breakfast? What food will be served?
6. Special concerns. Do you have any pets? Where does the dog sleep? Is anyone else a vegetarian (for those who are)? Is it okay if I don't take a shower? Do you keep a light on at night?

I don't recall any sleepovers as a child, other than with relatives. I remember one special occasion travelling to visit cousins in Saskatchewan. We arrived late at night when I was asleep. In the morning I found myself in a very special bed -- with a pillow and lots of blankets -- in the bathtub! I don't recall kids in sleeping bags on the floor ever.

No comments: